In a bid to highlight the goals of his administration and provide a clear pathway to meet its set priorities within the limited resources, His Excellency (Dr.) Bello Matawalle has established a powerful committee to lead the strategic planning process and develop the state’s Development Plan. The committee was constituted out of careful selection of seasoned intellectual luminaries with disciplinary relevance to strategy, planning and administration. The committee has been mandated to carry out the following functions:
- Develop a ten-year (2020-2030) Development Plan for the state.
- Develop a Sector Strategic Plan and a Medium-term Sector Implementation Plan for the state.
- Liaise with government MDAs, national and international development partners to provide support for the state.
- Advise the Executive Governor on Strategy and Development matters.
- Advise the Executive Governor on the smooth take-off of the newly established Zamfara State University and the management and sustainability of all tertiary institutions in the state.
- Carryout any other duties that may be assigned by the Executive Governor.
Composition of the Committee Membership:
- Prof. Yusuf M. Adamu Tsafe – Chairman
- Prof. Yahaya A. Zakari – Vice Chairman
- Alhaji Musa Bungudu Bungudu – Member
- Jalaludeen Maradun – Member
- Barr. Fati Nahuche – Member
- Dr. Bashir Maru – Member
- Gazali Shehu Ahmad – Member/Secretary
YUSUF M. ADAMU TSAFE is a professor of Geography and former Director Strategic Planning Unit, Bayero University Kano;
YAHAYA ABDULLAHI ZAKARI is a Professor of Development Economics and the immediate past Deputy Vice Chancellor Federal University Gusau;
ALHAJI MUSA AHMED BUNGUDU is a retired diplomat who served the United Nations (in different countries) for 32 years;
JALALUDEEN IBRAHIM MARADUN is a university lecturer and the immediate past Deputy Dean of Student Affairs Division, Federal University Birnin-kebbi and currently a Research Fellow in a university in Norway;
BARR. FATIMA ABUBAKAR NAHUCHE is a Lawyer and Judge at the FCT Customary Court of Appeal;
DR. BASHIR M. MARU is a medical doctor with a hospital in Abuja and a specialist in Primary Healthcare; and GAZALI AHMAD SHEHU is an IT professional and specialist in Development Studies and Policy Analysis currently working for Federal Inland Revenue Service.
The committee will confer regularly with the Executive Governor and the Secretary to the State Government to discuss and, as necessary, adjust the direction of strategic planning. The Office of the Special Adviser to the Executive Governor on Strategy and Development in collaboration with the state’s Ministry of Budget and Planning will play an integral role in this assignment through meetings and other key intersections within the process.
In carrying out the assignment, Governor Matawalle charges the members of Zamfara Strategy and Development Committee to work in the best interest of Zamfara State as a whole, with pragmatic awareness of the government’s resource constraints, deep knowledge of the trends and challenges in the state, and sensitivity to rebuilding Zamfara State. Governor Matawalle has expressed his appreciation to the members of the committee for accepting to participate in a process that will chart the state’s course for years to come, and further wished them Allah’s guidance in the discharge of their noble duties.
Ibrahim Bello Zauma
SSA NEW MEDIA