Arising from the development on the victimized Kano nine children rescued from kidnappers and human traffickers in Anambra State, the Islamic Forum of Nigeria convened a meeting to assess the situation. The meeting which lasted for 3 hours was attended by 67 representatives from Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Community Based Organizations (CBOs) and Faith Based Organizations (FBOs).
The meeting observed, among other things:
- That there is almost a deafening silence of the Southern Press regarding the worrisome situation even though some people were caught red-handed trafficking in innocent children ranging from age of two to five.
- That the role of Nigeria Police and the Special Kidnapping Squad was commendable, particularly the Kano State Commissioner of Police, CP Ahmad Iliyasu, for the doggedness and professionalism leading to the arrest of the culprits.
- That the meeting condemned in strongest voice this ungodly and uncivilized act meted on innocence children and hoped that it will not be swept under the carpet.
- That most of these kids had stayed with their captives for over five years thereby losing their identity.
- That these kids were mainly abducted from the comfort of their homes while on their way to or from Schools, or while visiting relatives away from home.
- That they were sold as slaves, (by the admission of their abductors), at a cost of N200,000 per child, transported to the South East, named after their abductors, forced into different culture and religion as well as placed under slavery and physical abuse.
- That there is not the same noise and unapologetic solidarity from southern opinion leaders and the press as rendered to Ese Oruru when she was alleged to have been abducted by her boy friend, Yunusa Yellow.
- That Kano leaders handed Yunusa Yellow over to Bayelsa State to face the judiciary, despite the fact that it was evident that the lady eloped and followed him. Till date, the assumed culprit has continued to face the denting image!
- That the Sabon-Gari Luxurious Motor Park has been the epitome of destruction and the gateway of evil in Kano State.
- That the reaction of the Muslim brethren in the state is highly commendable for maintaining peace and tranquility while the investigation continues.
- That the meeting commended the Kano State Governor, Dr Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, OFR for instituting a Commission of inquiry to investigate the extent of this heinous crime and determine the number of children kidnapped as well as the infringement of rights of the rescued children.
Pursuant to above observations, the meeting recommends as follows:
i. That the Security agencies need to intensify the search for all other abducted children still said to be in captivity, wherever they may be, and to remain in hot pursuit of other members of the trafficking ring
ii. That the Kano State Government should respond to the clarion call for the relocation of the Sabon Gari Luxurious Motor Park to the outskirts for effective monitoring
iii. That individuals, NGOs, CBOs and FBOs in the State are to reciprocate the government gesture through submission of memoranda to the Commission of inquiry
iiii. That Parents are to remain vigilant on the movement of their children and happenings in the neighborhoods. Community policing should be strengthened and suspicious activities should be promptly reported to security agencies for immediate actions
v. That the traditional rulers, religious leaders and the Imams are urged to institute prayer sessions in places of worship for Allah’s intervention;
vi. Finally, both the Federal and State governments should ensure that the culprits face the full wrath of the law so as to serve as deterrent to others.