- Born on 25th August, 1969 in Zulum Village of Mafa LGA.
- He Hawked firewood and sponsored his education.
- He became commercial driver and sponsored his education.
• University of Maiduguri 2005-2009
• University of Ibadan 1997-1998
• University of Maiduguri 1990-1994
• Ramat Polytechnic, Maiduguri 1986-1988
• Government Secondary School, Monguno 1980-1985
• Mafa Primary School 1975-1980
i. Ph.D ( Soil and Water Engineering) 2009
ii. M.Sc. Agricultural Engineering 1998
(Soil and Water)
iii. B,Eng. (AgriculturalEngineering) 1994
iiii. National Diploma in Irrigation Engineering 1988
v. General Certificate of Education 1985
vi. Primary School Certificate 1980
i. Member, National Institute for Policy and Strategic
Studies, NIPSS (mni)
ii. COREN Registered Engineer
iii. Nigerian Association of Technologists in Engineering
a. Borno State Civil Service:
i. Borno state First Honourable Commissioner, Ministry of Reconstruction, Rehabilitation and Resettlement.
ii. Assistant Technical Officer, Borno State Ministry of Agric. 1989-1990
b. Borno State Unified Local Government Service
i. Senior Field Overseer 1990
ii. Technical Officer 1990-1992
iii. Senior Technical Officer 1992-1994
iv. Agric. Engineering 1994-1996
v. Senior Agricultural Engineer 1997-1999
vi. Principal Water Engineer 1999-2000
c. Teaching and Research Experience in the University
Join the University of Maiduguri as an assistant lecturer in the year 2000. Undergraduate and Post graduate teaching courses include: Soil Science, Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, Soil and Water Conservation, Fluid Mechanics, Hydrology, Hydraulics and Introduction to Engineering Profession.
i. Assistant Lecturer University of Maiduguri 1998-2001
ii. Lecturer II 2001-2003
iii. Lecturer I 2003- 2008
iv. Senior Lecturer October, 2008-2011
v. Reader 2011-2016
vi. Professor 2016-Date
18 years of research experience in the field of Soil and Water Engineering and supervision of undergraduate Students and 3 years’ experience in the supervision of Post-graduate Students.
d. Rector, Ramat Polytechnic, Maiduguri 2011-2015
Chief Executive Officer- Responsible for the general Administration of the Institution
H. UNIVERSITY SERVICE
- Secretary Departmental Board of Agric. Engineering
University of Maiduguri 2000-2004
- Member Faculty Board of Agriculture, representing
Faculty of Engineering, University of Maiduguri 2003-Date
- Member Faculty Board of Engineering
University of Maiduguri 2000-Date
- SIWES Coordinator, Department of Agric.
and Environmental Engineering 2000-2011
- Member Engineering Workshop Rehabilitating Committee 2003
- Staff Adviser (Students) Faculty of Engineering 2002-2011
- Staff Adviser to the Borno State Students Union 2005-2011
- Departmental Examination Officer 2008-2010
- Deputy Dean, Faculty of Engineering University of Maiduguri 2010
- Acting Dean Faculty of Engineering, University of Maiduguri, 2011
I. OTHER EXPERIENCES
- One year national youth service corps in Katsina
Polytechnic as a Teacher 1994-1995
- Service Provider on (Irrigation) and soil/water to Borno,
Yobe and Zamfara State Fadama development program. 2006-2013
- Member, Governing Council, Ramat Polytechnic Maiduguri. 2009-2011
- Consultant to the World Bank on a Study “Capitalization on
Small Scale Irrigation Project in West Africa; Mali,
Burkina Faso, Niger and Nigeria” September,2009-11
- Consultant to International Water Management (IWMI)
On the Review of Irrigation Situation in Nigeria. 2010.
- Resource Person to IFPRI for the Development of Study
Methodology on Irrigation and Mechanization in Nigeria. 2011
- Consultant to the World Bank Nigerian Fadama 3 project on
Independent Assessment of the project activity at mid- term 2012
- Co-chairman with UNDP Sector working group on Early Recovery Intervention Borno State.
- Head, Implementing Partner for the Japan/UNDP Early Recovery and Social Cohesion Project 2016/2017.
- Head, Empowerment and Livelihoods Support for the Victims of Boko Haram Insurgency in North-East Project 2016/2017. (JAPAN/UNDP Project)
- Borno State Focal Person for the Recovery and Peace Building Assessment by WB, EU, UN and Government of Nigeria.
- Borno State Focal Person on Post-RPBA activities by WB, EU, UN and Government of Nigeria.
- Member National Steering Committee on the Implementation of the EU Support to Response, Recovery and Resilience Project in Borno State.
- Chairman Technical Implementation Committee on the Implementation of EU-GIZ Resilience Projectg in Borno State.
- Member Presidential Committee on handing over of Liberated Communities to Civil Authorities in Borno State.
- Consultant on Capacity Building and Advisory Services Training of the FADAMA III World Bank Project to Fadama Users in Yobe State (2011-2013)
- Consultant on Capacity Building and Advisory Services Training of the FADAMA III World Bank Project to Fadama Users in Kano State (2011-2013)
- Consultant on Capacity Building and Advisory Services Training of the FADAMA III World Bank Project to Fadama Users in Zambara State (2011-2013)
J. EXTERNAL EXAMINATIONSHIP
- External Examiner, Department of Agricultural Technology,
Ramat Polytechnic, Maiduguri. 2008-2011
- External Examiner, Department of Agricultural,
Federal Polytechnic Bauchi 2011-Date
K. MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
i. Member Nigerian Society of Engineers Reg.no.10, 683
ii. Member Nigerian Institution of Agricultural Engineers M673/1999
iii. Registered Engineer (COREN) R.13773
iv. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers Reg.No.10465336
L. COUNTRIES VISITED
- United States of America
- United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- Saudi Arabia
- Gambia, The
- Burkina Faso
M. PUBLICATIONS WITH DATE
i. Journal Papers
- Umara B., Yaji and A. Fannami (2004). Groundwater contamination in Damaturu, Nigeria. AZOJETE. Vol. 4: 45-51.
- Babagana Umara, Jibrin Musa Dibal, Abubakar K. Isa (2007). Quality analysis of water from river Kumadugu for human consumption and irrigation sustainability. Journal of life and environmental sciences, Vol. 9(1.): 521-526.
- Baba Gana, Jibrin M. Dibal and Andrew Jigumtu Kaya (2007): Intensity-Runoff Relationship on a Plot for Application in water harvesting in Semi-Arid Borno, Nigeria. J. Arid Agric. 17: 117-122.
- J. M. Dibal, A. Dauda and B. Umara (2008). Benefit-cost analysis of potato irrigation scheduling in Samaru-Zaria, Nigeria. al-Mahram Journal of Trans-Saharan Studies, Unimaid. Vol. 4 (2).
- A. S. Abdullahi, B.G. Umara, F.A. Adeniji, S. M. Musa and A. L.E. Mofoke (2009). The Influence of some soil properties on saturated hydraulic conductivity of soils in Maiduguri, Nigeria. JAET. Vol. 17 (1).
- Umara B., A.U. Kawuyo and M.A. Yusufari (2010). Design of Waste Water Stabilization Pond for the University of Maiduguri. Arid Zone Journal of Engineering and Environment. Vol. 7: 67-77.
- Jibrin M. Dibal, Babagana Umara, Habib Alkali and A. Abdullahi (2010). Response of Cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) in Semi-Arid Nigeria. Continental J. Agricultural Science. 4: 48-53.
- Jibrin Musa Dibal, Baba Gana Umara and Yalwale Bashir Alhaji (2010). Effect of Mulching, Compaction and Irrigation Scheduling on the Performance of Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus) in a Semi-Arid Climate. International Journal of Agriculture, Vol. 2. (4).
- B. G. Umara, A. S. Abdullahi and J. M. Dibal (2010). Re-advocating water harvesting for improved crop production in semi-arid Nigeria. Journal of Environmental Research and Policies, Vol. 5 (4)
- Messers Umara B.G. Audu I, Ogedingbe K; Omobowale (2010). Development of Bamboo (Oxyttenanthera abyssinica) stem as irrigation pipe. Journal of Applied Science Engineering and Technology. Vol. 6 (1).
- B. G. Umara, Y, Z. A. Gaji and J. M. Dibal (2010). Determination of water quality from wash bores in Nguro-Soye village for irrigation suitability. International Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol. 2 (1).
- B.G. Umara, A. S. Mohammed and J. M. Dibal (2011). Evaluation of surface and ground water of Maiduguri, Nigeria for heavy metals toxicity. International Journal of Pure and Applied Science. Vol. 4 (1).
- Dobboi Umar and Baba Gana Umara (2011). Solar energy for community development in north-east zone of Nigeria. International Journal of Pure and Applied Science, Vol. 4 (2).
- Ali Umar Bashir, Babagana Umara and Jibrin Dibal (2011). Effects of organic matter on aggregate stability of some agricultural soils in semi arid region of Nigeria. International Journal of Engineering. Vol. 3 (3).
- Ali Umar Bashir, Kola Ogedengbe and Babagana Umara (2011). Comparative effects of irrigation methods on the growth and yield of maize cultivars in semi arid Nigeria. International Journal of Agriculture, Vol. 3 (6): 2251-0222.
- B. G. Umara, J. M. Dibal (2011). Variation of physical properties of Bamboo (Oxytenanthera abyssinica) stem along the culm height. Inter. Jour. Of Engineering. Vol 5 (2): 71-79.
- B. G. Umara, F. A. Adeniji (2011). Analysis of the strength properties of Bamboo (Oxytenanthera abyssinica) stem. Global Jour. Of Engg. & Tech. Vol. 4 (2).
- B. G. Umara, I. Audu and A. U. Bashir (2011): Performance evaluation of Bamboo (Oxytenanthera abyssinica) low cost micro irrigation lateral system. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Vol. 6 (5).
- B. G. Umara, M.M. Aliyu, B.A. Umaru and A.S. Abdullahi (2012). Comparison of Four Empirical Models for Estimating Crop Evapotranspiration in Semi-Arid Nigeria. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences. 26-32.
- B. G. Umara, A.D. Manasseh, A.B. Umaru and Abdullahi Abubakar Sadiq (2012). Potential of Plastic Drinking Straw as Emitters in Micro Irrigation Drip System Component. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences. 51-56.
- A.B. Umaru, Y.I. Tashiwa, B.G. Umara, S.Y. Buba, A.H. Hong, A.S. Abdullahi (2012). Extent and remedy on gully erosion in Bangshika Area Adamawa State, Nigeria. Academic Research Journal International. 138-144.
- Abdullahi AS, Ahmad D, and Umara B.G. (2012). Water Storage and use method in rural communities of Bauchi State, Nigeria. International Journal of Agricultural Sciences. Vol. 2(6). Xxx
- Abdullahi AS, Ahmad D, and Umara Babagana (2012). Influence of lime materials to ameliorate acididy on irrigated paddy fields: A review. Academic Research Journal 3(1)413-420.
- B.G Umara, Sangodoyin A.Y. and J.M. Dibal (2013). In-depth evaluation of potentials and utilization of ground water in north-eastern sub-region of Nigeria. International Journal of Advanced Scientific and Technical Research. 3:88-103.
- F.A. Adeniji, B.G. Umara, J.M. Dibal, K.A. Otobo (2013). Determination of Compaction Characteristics of Maiduguri Soil. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering. 3: 478-482.
- F.A. Adeniji, B.G. Umara, J.M. Dibal, K.A. Otobo (2013). Determination of the Characteristic Particle Diameter of a road construction soil using intrinsic permeability formula. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering. 3: 471-482.
- B.G. Umara, A.T. Abdulrahim, Jibrin Musa Dibal and B.B. Shuwa (2013).Water Supply in Maiduguri: An Engineering Point of view. International Journal of Advanced Scientific and Technical Research. 3:80-87
- Umara, BG., A.S. Abdullahi, J.M. Dibal and D. Ahmad (2013). Effect of Salts concentration on emergence and growth of Tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum) in Tropical Areas. International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology (IJEIT) 3(2).
- F.A. Adeniji, B.G. Umara, J.M. Dibal and Obakplor, S.A. (2013). Water retention as a function of fine fraction of soil in a semi-arid environment. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Science, 78(8):514-518.
- Jibrin Musa Dibal, Baba Gana Umara and Ngwani, P.M (2013). Effect of Soil Compaction, Compost and Slopes on Runoff, Soil and Nutrient Losses Under a Simulated Rainfall In A Semi-Arid Environment. Biological and Environmental Sciences Journal for the Tropics. 10(3):219-224.
- B.G. Umara, J.M. Dibal and I.U, Izuchukwu (2013). Determination of some mechanical and hydraulic properties of Biu Clayey soils, Nigeria. IJMER. Vol. 3 (5): 3281-3284.
- J.B. Dibal, B.G. Umara and Rimanungra (2013). Water intake characteristics of different soil types in southern Borno Nigeria. International Journal of Science Inventions Today. Vol. 2(5): 502-509.
- U.A. Kawuyo, B. Umara, A.A. Atiku and V.V. Simon (2013). Effect of tillage depth on tractor fuel consumption using off-set Disc harrow in sandy loam soil. Continental J. Engineering Science. 8 (2): 22-27
ii. Papers in Conference Proceedings and Seminars
- Baba Gana Umara (2002): Groundwater contamination in Maiduguri, Konduga and Bama Towns of Borno State. University of Maiduguri, Faculty of Engineering, Seminar Series Vol. 2 (1).
- Jibrin M. Dibal, Abdu Dauda and Baba Gana Umara (2006). Irrigation and the Society: A Review. University of Maiduguri, Faculty of Engineering Seminar Series. Vol. 4 (1).
- B.G. Umara, A. U. Bashir and K.D. Maina (2010): Initial investment cost of a bamboo (Oxytenanthera 4abyssinica) micro irrigation stem. Proceeding of the fifth International Conference on Scientific and Industrial Studies Vol. 5 (5), Indoor theatre, University of Abuja FCT., Nigeria.
- Jibrin Musa Dibal Babagana Umara and Gonimi, B.A. (2011): Effect of tillage systems and wood-chips mulching on the physical and hydraulic properties of sandy loam soil in a semi-arid environment. Proceedings of Sixth International Conference on Scientific and Industrial Studies. Arts Theatre Complex Auditorium, Benin State University Markudi, Nigeria. Vol. 6 (1).
- Mohammed Yaji and Baba Gana Umara (2011). Predicting crop water requirement for onion (Allum cepa) using Blaney Griddle method in semi-arid Borno State. Proceedings of International Conference on Science and Sustainable Development. Porto Novo, Republic of Benin. Vol. 1 (10). pp141-147.
- I.A. Sodangi, S. D. Joshua and B.G. Umara (2011): Growth, yield and weed suppressing ability of soybean (Glycine max (L.) merril) as influence by inter-row spacing at Maiduguri, Nigeria. Proceedings of the International Conference on Science and Sustainable Development. Vol. 2 (4). Sale Visuelle University Nationale Du Benin Abomey-Calaxyl Cotonou, Republic of Benin.
- B.G. Umara, K.K. Katibi and F. A. Adeniji (2013). Estimation of seepage losses in irrigation canal: A case study of Gashua minor irrigation project Gashua, Yobe State, Nigeria. Proceedings of International Conference on Sustainable Development. 11 (4): 89-92.
M. LEARNED CONFERENCES/WORKSHOPS/ SEMINARS ATTENDED TO DATE
- Grantee Global Forum, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Dubai, 30th October to 3rd November, 2017
- National Directorate of Employment, Entrepreneurship Development Programme held at Katsina, 21st-25th November, 1994.
- Locally available feeds for livestock, workshop organized by Borno State Government, 1997.
- Fourth International Conference of the Nigerian Institution of Agricultural Engineers held in Damaturu, Nigeria. September, 2003.
- Nigerian Institution of Agricultural Engineers Conference: Damaturu, 2003
- 16th COREN Engineering Assembly held in Abuja, Nigeria, September, 2007.
- 17th COREN Engineering Assembly held in Abuja, Nigeria, September, 2008.
- 18th COREN Engineering Assembly held in Abuja, Nigeria, August, 2009
- Sensitization Workshop for Service Providers by the National Fadama Development Project, Borno held at Conference Centre, Borno State Ministry of Women Affairs, Maiduguri, Nigeria, 2006.
- Psychosocial Skills Training Workshop for Representatives of Community-Based Organizations and Care Givers under the Global Fund Round 5 OVC Project, held in Lagos on 23rd-27th November, 2005.
- Fourth Annual Conference of IRDI Research and Development Network held on May 5-8, 2009 at the Conference centre, University of Lagos, Nigeria.
- Third African Regional Conference on Sustainable Development held on July 14-16, 2009 at the Coomassie Hall, Imo State University, Owerri, Nigeria.
- International Workshop on Capitalization of Lesson Learnt in Small Scale Private Irrigation Development in West Africa held on September 23-26, 2009 at Pacific Hotel, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
- National Workshop on Small Scale Private Irrigation Development in Nigeria held on 2nd November, 2009 at Staff Development Centre, Independence Way off Airport Road, Kano, Nigeria.
- Third African Regional Conference on Irrigation and Drainage held in Bamako, 29-5th Dec., 2011 Funded by National Fadama project.
- Nigerian Institute of Agric. Engineers Conference: Buachi, 2012.
- Nigerian Society of Engineers Conference Ilorin, 2012.
- Nigerian Association of Technologists in Engineering (NATEWEX Lagos) 2013
- Nigerian Association of Technologists in Engineering (CONFOTECH Lagos) 2013
N. CURRENT RESEARCH AREAS
- Soil, Water and Atmospheric Pollution.
- Participatory Irrigation Management.
- Development of low-cost technology for sustainable Irrigation Development.
- Integrated Strategies for Improved Crop Production in Semi Environment.
- Renewable Energy for Sustainable Development
O. DISSERTATION AND THESIS
- Development of Bamboo stem (Oxytenanthera abyssinian) for use in low-cost Micro Irrigation System. (Ph.D. Thesis).
- In-depth Evaluation of Potentials and Utilization of Groundnut in North- East Sub-Saharan Nigeria (M.Sc. Thesis).
- Drying of Tomato (Lycopersium esculentum), B.Eng. Project
P. NAMES AND ADDRESSES OF REFEREES
- H. E. Alhaji Kashim Shettima
- Professor A. Y. Sangodoyin
Department of Agricultural & Environmental Resources Engineering,
University of Maiduguri.
- Abdulkadir Kadai Usman
Federal Ministry of Finance,
- Dr. Abdu Dauda
Head of Department,
Department of Agricultural & Environmental Resources Engineering,
University of Maiduguri.