The Fashion Industry is fast evolving especially here in Africa. The rise of fashion designers and fashion brands has never been this huge. Not to mention the huge appetite for African fashion products in the Western world.
Many women (and of course men too) have successfully turned their love for sewing into full time businesses. You too, can.
Here are five reasons why this is the right time to acquire dressmaking skills
1. You can instantly begin earning an extra income from what you sew. Even if you have a 9-5 job.
2. With social media in our lives, the middle man obstacle has been erased. You can leverage on any of the platforms available and showcase what you sew.
3. And even if you’re not social media savvy, wearing a well- made outfit definitely attracts people and potential customers. Some might even want to buy the one you’re wearing!
4. Another reason is, you will no longer be at the mercy of tailors and their “wahala”. You know what that mean. Having this skill makes you confident. You need not queue up for weeks to have your outfit sewn. All you do is whip out your fabric and cute sewing machine, and you’re good to go.
5. Last but certainly not the least, learning to sew your clothes can bring business opportunities you were not even searching for! From collaborations with another fashion brand to a high end store asking you to produce a number of your designs for them. It can only get better.