Despite recent attacks on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) facilities in parts of the country, President Muhammadu Buhari has vowed to give all it would take to secure future elections.
The President spoke on Tuesday after he received briefing from INEC chairman, Prof Mahmood Yakubu, on series of attacks on facilities of the electoral body.
The President, who said his administration would invest more into empowering the INEC to ensure no election fails, assured he would not want to give his traducers the impression that he has a motive to stay beyond his term of office.
According to a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, the President said he would ensure INEC is able to carry out its duties “so that no one would say we don’t want to go, or that we want a third term. There will be no excuse for failure. We’ll meet all INEC’s demands”.
He sternly warned those bent on destroying the country through promoting insurrection and burning down critical national assets that a rude shock awaits them and very soon too
“I receive daily security reports on the attacks, and it is very clear that those behind them want this administration to fail,” Buhari said.
“Insecurity in Nigeria is now mentioned all over the world. All the people who want power, whoever they are, you wonder what they really want. Whoever wants the destruction of the system will soon have the shock of their lives. We’ve given them enough time,” he reiterated.
Buhari recalled that he visited all the 36 states of the country before the 2019 election, “and majority of the people believed me, and the election proved it.”
He promised to continue leading the country in accordance with Constitutional provisions.
He said those misbehaving in certain parts of the country were obviously too young to know the travails and loss of lives that attended the Civil War.
“Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand. We are going to be very hard sooner than later,” the President said.
The President said the Service Chiefs and the Inspector General of Police have been changed, “and we will demand security from them.”
In his briefing, Prof Yakubu said that so far, there have been 42 cases of attacks on INEC offices nationwide since the last General Elections.
“The 42 incidents so far occurred in 14 states of the Federation for a variety of reasons….Most of the attacks happened in the last seven months, and they are unrelated to protest against previous elections.
“From the pattern and frequency of the most recent attacks, they appear to be targeted at future elections. The intention is to incapacitate the Commission, undermine the nation’s democracy and precipitate a national crisis,” Yakubu said.